The Hindu American Foundation (HAF) is seeking a full-time Community Outreach Director. This position is new to the organization and will develop and expand HAF’s presence at the local and national level. Primary responsibilities will include conducting community outreach to garner support for HAF advocacy and programmatic initiatives; and building relationships with key policy makers, interfaith, civil rights, and community leaders, in order to educate them on important issues of concern to the Hindu American community. This role requires an outgoing, highly energetic individual with excellent communication, presentation, and organizational skills.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Build and leverage relationships at the local and national level - serve as a spokesperson and official representative of HAF for interorganizational coordination with temples, community groups, and interfaith and civil rights organizations to raise awareness and mobilize support for HAF programmatic initiatives and advocacy campaigns
- Maintain a calendar of outreach activities, including community events, trainings/presentations, speaking appearances, and other communication opportunities
- Coordinate local Chapter activities, events, and initiatives in conjunction with volunteers and staff
- Respond to and triage community inquiries and requests
- Support Senior staff in other projects as needed
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years work experience in community organization, development and implementation of community programs, marketing, communications, and/or advocacy
- Deep, working knowledge of India and Hindu teachings, practices, traditions and the diaspora
- High energy, driven, organized, and able to carry out multiple programs/initiatives across the country simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively
- Works well in a close-knit team environment, but can complete tasks independently when necessary
- Fluency in online platforms such as Google Apps, Zoom, social networks, commonly used office software.
- Willing and able to travel monthly and/or on weekends for events, trainings, and programs.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Degree or similar experience in Policy, Development, Communications, Community Organization, or Advocacy a plus
- Cover letter
- Two professional references, including length of working relationship
- Two writing samples (up to 500 words; prior publications acceptable)