Reports to Sr. Director of Communications
The Hindu American Foundation (HAF) is seeking a web content writer to be responsible for writing, editing, proofreading and posting content onto the HAF website. In addition, this position will be tasked with creating content for blogs/articles, white papers, policy briefs/fact sheets, press releases, and action alerts. The Content Writer should be able to follow editorial guidelines when creating content and be familiar with the latest SEO techniques. The Content Writer will also work closely with Senior Director, Communications to manage social media channels in developing content to support HAF’s mission and strategic objectives.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Daily posting of content to social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) for HAF
- Create, develop, manage and post web content for HAF website, while meeting current Search Engine Optimization (SEO) standards
- Ensure that the content written conveys the desired branding and messaging for the organization to uphold the reputation of HAF
- Conduct in-depth research on relevant topics in order to develop original content
- Develop content for blogs/articles, white papers, policy briefs/fact sheets, press releases, and action alerts
- Proofread content for errors and inconsistencies
- Edit and polish existing content to improve readability and to create derivative pieces
- Create body copy that will capture the attention of the target audience
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Communications, Journalism. or Political Science.
- Between two (2) and four (4) years writing experience required.
- Deep, working knowledge of India and Hindu teachings, practices, and traditions.
- Strong research, writing, editing, and analytical skills
- Organized and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines in a timely manner
- Fluency in online platforms such as Google, social networks, Zoom, etc.
- Works well in a close-knit team environment, but can complete tasks independently when necessary
- Knowledge of public relations, technical writing and editing online publications
- Writing experience for non-profit
- Working knowledge of principles and processes of web design
- Current resume and cover letter, including a brief summary of your working knowledge of India and Hinduism and the context in which you gained or applied such knowledge.
- Two professional references, including nature and length of work relationship.
Two writing samples up to 500 words each, preferably on a policy issue, but not required. Prior publications are acceptable.